“The bespoke information has been invaluable for my career and employment; I don’t feel alone anymore. I have the peace of mind knowing my income is protected with my BGA insurance.”

Jenny Hooch

BGA Member


FROM ONLY £24.50



Some functionality of the website is not currently available due to technical difficulties. We're working on fixing the issue.
Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked

Frequently asked question

Where to find more info

My employer has told me that I am self employed. What does this mean? 

Employment status

I really want to take my horse with me to a job and the employer says I can be a working pupil and earn pocket money, is this ok? Working pupils
I have been working for an employer for 5 years now and never received a contract, should I have one?  Contracts
My employer says I am on National Minimum Wage, but I constantly work over the hours I am supposed to do, is this ok? Wages
I am in a new job and I am working 6 days a week. My boss says I have 20 days holiday per year and no bank holidays off - is this correct? Holidays
I am injured and I have no insurance and the doctor has told me I can't work for 4 months, will I get any money, I am employed.  If you are ill
I have done something stupid and I have just received a letter telling me I am going to be taken through a disciplinary hearing. What does this mean? Disciplinary 
I am pregnant - what are my rights as an employee? Pregnancy 
I am owed money - do you have a template that can help me write a letter?  Letter templates




What the personal accident policy covers you for:

  • Whilst at work
  • All stable duties – mucking out, grooming, washing off, turning out
  • Clipping
  • Riding – including hacking and jumping
  • Hunting
  • Lunging
  • Breaking in
  • Holding horse for a vet and other procedures
  • Travelling horses both in the UK and abroad
  • Competing in line with your job including: jumping, dressage, eventing
  • Injuries that may happen to you whilst you are teaching - but you must also be grooming as part of your duties and not be a sole instructor

What the personal accident policy doesn’t cover you for:

  • Riding in a race, point to point or team chase
  • Stunt Riding
  • Accidents occurring whilst travelling to and from work
  • Riding and competing your own horse (but you can upgrade when applying for membership to include this)
  • Public Liability – this is a separate insurance policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance
  • Care Custody and Control – this is a separate policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance

If you require additional cover then please contact KBIS directly.


When you are working for other people you do most of the following; muck out, turn out/catch in, tack up, groom horses, exercise Horses (including hacking, jumping and schooling), in the care of your employer/client.




Predominantly ride horses for other people including schooling, exercising and competing.   

 Provide grooming services for someone else either full time or on a freelance basis i.e. an employer or a client.   


Employ staff – have an employers liability policy in your name NO NO YES
Buy and sell horses NO YES YES

Your item has been added to the basket

You need to create an account, or login before you can add this item to your basket.