Some functionality of the website is not currently available due to technical difficulties. We're working on fixing the issue.

Insurance for RACING grooms

British Grooms Association member with racing youngstock

If you work in a horse racing yard or a thoroughbred stud our grooms' insurance memberships provide you with the appropriate KBIS personal accident cover should you sustain an injury whilst at work.

Suitable for any groom up to and including 75 years old. 

Membership covers you for everything you do in line with your work in a racing yard or stud, including gallop exercise, race day travel, covering and foaling. **but not riding in a race.

It does not include Public Liability insurance, as this is not required by all grooms.

Freelancers will be offered the option to purchase the bespoke Freelance Groom Liability Insurance supplied by KBIS at the end of their joining journey.


Is this for me?

  • Over 65 years old? 
  • Not registered as a member of stable staff? 
  • Work in a thoroughbred stud? 
  • Freelancer working in racing yards?

You will not be covered by the Racing Industry Benefits Scheme (RIABS). So you should consider what would happen financially if you had an accident at work. 

If you are a self-employed freelancer, you will certainly not be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay and so really should invest in protecting your income. 

The British Grooms Association offers suitable and affordable insurance for racing grooms. 




Our most popular CHOICE. includes a weekly income should you be unable to work.

  • Suitable for racing grooms
  • Covers up to £15,000
  • Total Temporary Disablement up to £250 per week
  • Hospital benefit
  • Emergency dental expenses

Buy now for
£133.03 per year or
£11.97 per month


this membership offers the highest level of KBIS cover suitable for higher earning racing grooms.

  • Suitable for racing grooms
  • Covers up to £20,000
  • Total Temporary Disablement up to £350 per week
  • Hospital benefit
  • Emergency dental expenses

Buy now for
£191.72 per year or
£17.26 per month



What the personal accident policy covers you for:

  • Whilst at work
  • All stable duties – mucking out, grooming, washing off, turning out
  • Clipping
  • Riding – including hacking and jumping
  • Hunting
  • Lunging
  • Breaking in
  • Holding horse for a vet and other procedures
  • Travelling horses both in the UK and abroad
  • Competing in line with your job including: jumping, dressage, eventing
  • Injuries that may happen to you whilst you are teaching - but you must also be grooming as part of your duties and not be a sole instructor

What the personal accident policy doesn’t cover you for:

  • Riding in a race, point to point or team chase
  • Stunt Riding
  • Accidents occurring whilst travelling to and from work
  • Riding and competing your own horse (but you can upgrade when applying for membership to include this)
  • Public Liability – this is a separate insurance policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance
  • Care Custody and Control – this is a separate policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance

If you require additional cover then please contact KBIS directly.


When you are working for other people you do most of the following; muck out, turn out/catch in, tack up, groom horses, exercise Horses (including hacking, jumping and schooling), in the care of your employer/client.




Predominantly ride horses for other people including schooling, exercising and competing.   

 Provide grooming services for someone else either full time or on a freelance basis i.e. an employer or a client.   


Employ staff – have an employers liability policy in your name NO NO YES
Buy and sell horses NO YES YES

Your item has been added to the basket

You need to create an account, or login before you can add this item to your basket.