“The bespoke information has been invaluable for my career and employment; I don’t feel alone anymore. I have the peace of mind knowing my income is protected with my BGA insurance.”

Jenny Hooch

BGA Member


FROM ONLY £24.50



Some functionality of the website is not currently available due to technical difficulties. We're working on fixing the issue.

A parents Common questions

Common questions

Membership to the British Grooms Association will give your son or daughter the opportunity to check out the terms of their employment via the My Job section in the members area. We also welcome parents to contact us to discuss individual circumstances, but we are sorry we can only help if your child is a BGA member. 

Here are some commonly asked questions: 
My daughter has never paid any Tax or National Insurance. Do employers submit groom details to tax offices? I know very little about this side of things - please can you advise?
If your daughter is employed, then her employer has the legal obligation to operate PAYE on the payments made to their employees if their earnings reach the National Insurance Lower Earnings Limit (LEL).

How many hours per day will my son be expected to work?
The law states that you should not have to work more than 48 hours a week on average, unless you choose to, or work in a sector with its own special rules. The normal working hours should be set out in the contract of employment or written statement of employment particulars. 

Working with horses is not a 9-5 job and it should be expected that as a groom, there will be long days. However it is important to note that an employee must still be paid at least the minimum wage for their hours worked.

He must by law receive a rest period within his working day, this will depend on her contract as to how long and whether he will be paid during the break period.

Will my daughter get a contract of employment?

If your daughter is an employee then she will certainly have a contract of employment – which is an agreement between an employer and an employee.
The contract is made as soon as an employee accepts a job offer, and both sides are then bound by its terms until it is properly ended (usually by giving notice) or until the terms are changed (usually by mutual agreement).

Your daughter must also receive a Statement of Terms of Employment Particulars.

My son's living conditions are terrible, cold and damp, are there any rules/guidelines regarding basic accommodation standards? His employer lives in a luxury house! He doesn't want us to complain as he doesn't want to risk his job.
Any employer has a responsibility to provide safe and comfortable accommodation for an employee, especially if it is part of their benefits. Your son could raise a grievance.

What about days off? My daughter has just worked for 21 consecutive days. Is this legal?

No this is not legal. An adult worker is entitled to a break between working days and if they are under 18 years old the rules are slightly different.

Are holidays with pay?
All employees are entitled to holiday leave with pay. If you son or daughter is self employed i.e. a freelance groom, then they will not be entitled to any paid holiday.

My son's employer has just told him that he is now 'self employed' what does that mean?
Your son is only self employed if he is running his own freelance business and so invoices the clients and pays his own tax. Be warned, some employers will make their staff 'self employed' when in actual fact they are not - this is a tax evasion and illegal.




What the personal accident policy covers you for:

  • Whilst at work
  • All stable duties – mucking out, grooming, washing off, turning out
  • Clipping
  • Riding – including hacking and jumping
  • Hunting
  • Lunging
  • Breaking in
  • Holding horse for a vet and other procedures
  • Travelling horses both in the UK and abroad
  • Competing in line with your job including: jumping, dressage, eventing
  • Injuries that may happen to you whilst you are teaching - but you must also be grooming as part of your duties and not be a sole instructor

What the personal accident policy doesn’t cover you for:

  • Riding in a race, point to point or team chase
  • Stunt Riding
  • Accidents occurring whilst travelling to and from work
  • Riding and competing your own horse (but you can upgrade when applying for membership to include this)
  • Public Liability – this is a separate insurance policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance
  • Care Custody and Control – this is a separate policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance

If you require additional cover then please contact KBIS directly.


When you are working for other people you do most of the following; muck out, turn out/catch in, tack up, groom horses, exercise Horses (including hacking, jumping and schooling), in the care of your employer/client.




Predominantly ride horses for other people including schooling, exercising and competing.   

 Provide grooming services for someone else either full time or on a freelance basis i.e. an employer or a client.   


Employ staff – have an employers liability policy in your name NO NO YES
Buy and sell horses NO YES YES

Your item has been added to the basket

You need to create an account, or login before you can add this item to your basket.