Some functionality of the website is not currently available due to technical difficulties. We're working on fixing the issue.
Girl becomes a groom working with horses

Working with horses as a groom

Are you passionate about horses? Do you love being outdoors? Do you like working as part of a team?

Working as a groom and looking after horses is a challenging, busy and rewarding occupation. Grooms belong to their professional association, the BGA - join today for just £25.50

There are many different ways you can work as groom:

Showjumping, dressage, eventing, riding school, livery, two days are the same!

    Competition Grooms often travel abroad with their work 
    Stud grooms have an exciting time in the spring when the foals arrive
    Outside work - can be cold and muddy in the winter, but great in the summer!
    Great buzz being part of a team and seeing your horse win a race or medal
Some grooms set up their own business as a Freelancer, and have many clients and a variety of work.

What do grooms earn?

As a groom you will be paid according to your experience and responsibilities, but wages vary widely in the equestrian industry, apart from racing, which has a wage structure.

Many grooms' job packages include accommodation and this can vary from shared hostel rooms, to luxury cottages. Food, free livery for your own horse, riding lessons and the chance to compete are also sometimes included.

If you are considering becoming a groom join the BGA and get access to lots of career advice and grooming top tips.

My life as a groom

Watch this short video to hear from BGA Ambassador, Alan Davies about the BGA and his career:

Next steps

Haddon training

Haddon Training

Consider an apprenticeship. 
If you're new to working with horses you might want to consider an apprenticeship. Haddon Training is the leading provider and will be happy to help you explore your options.

Careers in Racing

Careers in Racing

Fancy working in racing?
With a variety of career paths in the racing industry you might want to consider either starting your career, or changing your pathway. Discover more about the training and opportunities.

Temporary Total Disablement

What is Temporary Total Disablement?

Temporary Total Disablement (TTD), available under both the Silver and Platinum insure membership options, pays a weekly benefit should you sustain an injury at work and that injury temporarily prevents you from working.

TTD is the most claimed benefit on a personal accident policy and is important cover to consider, especially if you do not receive any statutory sick pay.

The Key Features of TTD

The maximum weekly benefit paid under TTD depends on the level of cover you have chosen to take out and your gross weekly wage.

Under our Silver insure membership the maximum weekly benefit paid is £250, whilst under our Platinum insure membership, the maximum weekly benefit paid is £350.  Following a successful claim you will receive this weekly benefit amount or 65% of your gross weekly wage, whichever is the lower figure/amount.

When choosing the level of TTD it is important to select the one which is the most comparable to your current earnings, as a higher limit does not guarantee a greater pay-out. In order to receive TTD you must be receiving an income as oppose to benefits etc.

The Key Limitations/Exclusions of TTD

A claim will only be successful if your injury entirely prevents you from attending your normal duties at work. You will need to be signed off by a doctor and the injury must prevent you from working for more than 21 days.

Once your claim is agreed by underwriters you will start to receive a weekly benefit after the first 21 days immediately following the injury or illness. The weekly benefit is payable for a maximum of 104 weeks.
If order for a  to claim to be successful you will need to prove your gross weekly earnings and the insurer will determine from this, and the level of cover you have taken out, the weekly benefit which shall be payable. If you are self-employed and therefore do not have any pay slips to use as proof of earnings you will need to provide some other form of documentation, such as a tax return.

TTD cover is only payable to those aged 16 years and over and with the appropriate cover in place.

It is always important to read the terms and conditions of your insurance cover carefully.

What the personal accident policy covers you for:

  • Whilst at work
  • All stable duties – mucking out, grooming, washing off, turning out
  • Clipping
  • Riding – including hacking and jumping
  • Hunting
  • Lunging
  • Breaking in
  • Holding horse for a vet and other procedures
  • Travelling horses both in the UK and abroad
  • Competing in line with your job including: jumping, dressage, eventing
  • Injuries that may happen to you whilst you are teaching - but you must also be grooming as part of your duties and not be a sole instructor

What the personal accident policy doesn’t cover you for:

  • Riding in a race, point to point or team chase
  • Stunt Riding
  • Accidents occurring whilst travelling to and from work
  • Riding and competing your own horse (but you can upgrade when applying for membership to include this)
  • Public Liability – this is a separate insurance policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance
  • Care Custody and Control – this is a separate policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance

If you require additional cover then please contact KBIS directly.