Some functionality of the website is not currently available due to technical difficulties. We're working on fixing the issue.

Grooms Insurance

If you work with horses protecting yourself is important, as accidents can and do happen, trust us we hear about them all the time. 

Freelance groom, employed groom or equine student on work placement - whatever you do, the BGA is here for you and your insurance needs. 

If you get injured and you are unable to work then you need to consider that your income is likely to be reduced, or if a freelancer could disappear.

The BGA has the best grooms insurance for all who work with horses. 


Insurance options

Watch this short video to discover which insurance protection you should consider:

BGA insurance options

The prices (other options also available) Cost
Bronze Membership (includes personal accident but not income cover) £5.73 per month
Silver Membership (includes personal accident cover) £12.09 per month
Platinum Membership (includes personal accident cover) £17.38 per month
Freelance Groom Liability Insurance  £25.12 per month
Freelance Groom Liability Insurance (plus coaching) £30.14 per month

CLICK and Join us today from:


Let us answer your questions

I already have insurance (I think) 

Insurance can be confusing, but it is important to understand the difference types and be aware of what is and isn't your insurance covering you for. 

There are two key types of insurance to consider:

Personal accident insurance - this will cover you in the case of an accident at work. It is sensible for all grooms that work with horses to have this cover, whether you are freelance or employed. 

It is important to check that your personal accident insurance covers you whilst you are at work. (most do not as they are recreational policies)

Be aware... policies such as the BHS Gold or Harry Hall do NOT cover you for when you are working with horses. Check the small print.

BGA Bronze, Silver and Platinum memberships all include personal accident insurance. 

Liability insurance - Public Liability insurance provides cover against claims made by a third party who has suffered an injury or property damage due to your negligence.

Care Custody and Control insurance will protect you in the event the owner of a horse in your care, custody or control hold you liable for injury to, death of or illness sustained by that horse whilst in your care.

BGA Freelance Groom Liability Insurance is for self-employed freelance grooms. 

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) is the basic rate you are entitled to if you are unable to work.

If you're working for an employer (even if you've only just started), you're entitled to SSP if the following apply:

  • you're sick for at least four days in a row (including weekends and bank holidays and days that you do not normally work)
  • you're earning at least £120 a week before tax and National Insurance contributions are deducted.

The standard rate for SSP is just £95.85 a week which is paid by your employer for up to 28 weeks.

The best way to protect your income is to have a personal accident insurance policy - this is suitable for both employed and freelance grooms. 

Do I need Liability insurance

If you are employed, no you don't,  as it is a legal requirement for your employer to have employer's liability insurance - you should ask them to ensure they have it, in fact it should be displayed on the wall. 

If you are self employed or freelance then you are unlikely to be covered under any liability insurance policy held by the yards where you are contracted. 

Speak to each business for clarification and if you are not covered then it would be strongly advisable to have your own liability policy in place. 

As a BGA member you have access to the BGA Freelance Groom Liability Insurance - designed specifically for grooms by KBIS British Equestrian Insurance, it is set at preferential rates for BGA members - just £278.49 per year or £25.12 per month. 


Travelling abroad as a groom

If you are working abroad as a groom you will need a specific insurance policy to cover you for medical expenses and repatriation. 

Be aware that any holiday travel insurance that you may already have will not cover you for this time abroad. 

The BGA offers to our members’ affordable and suitable working travel insurance cover. 


Trusted by grooms

It used to be very rare to be insured for personal accident insurance if you were a groom. There was a lack of awareness about how and why grooms' insurance was and still is important when working with horses. 

Sadly many grooms have suffered life-changing accidents and subsequently received very little or no financial support, potentially causing havoc with rent and bills.

So why would you work with horses in such a high-risk occupation without any form of insurance?

The BGA is your professional membership association. Working with KBIS insurance we have negotiated you the best and most affordable insurance policies that are trusted by our growing membership. 

Get your BGA membership today.




Temporary Total Disablement

What is Temporary Total Disablement?

Temporary Total Disablement (TTD), available under both the Silver and Platinum insure membership options, pays a weekly benefit should you sustain an injury at work and that injury temporarily prevents you from working.

TTD is the most claimed benefit on a personal accident policy and is important cover to consider, especially if you do not receive any statutory sick pay.

The Key Features of TTD

The maximum weekly benefit paid under TTD depends on the level of cover you have chosen to take out and your gross weekly wage.

Under our Silver insure membership the maximum weekly benefit paid is £250, whilst under our Platinum insure membership, the maximum weekly benefit paid is £350.  Following a successful claim you will receive this weekly benefit amount or 65% of your gross weekly wage, whichever is the lower figure/amount.

When choosing the level of TTD it is important to select the one which is the most comparable to your current earnings, as a higher limit does not guarantee a greater pay-out. In order to receive TTD you must be receiving an income as oppose to benefits etc.

The Key Limitations/Exclusions of TTD

A claim will only be successful if your injury entirely prevents you from attending your normal duties at work. You will need to be signed off by a doctor and the injury must prevent you from working for more than 21 days.

Once your claim is agreed by underwriters you will start to receive a weekly benefit after the first 21 days immediately following the injury or illness. The weekly benefit is payable for a maximum of 104 weeks.
If order for a  to claim to be successful you will need to prove your gross weekly earnings and the insurer will determine from this, and the level of cover you have taken out, the weekly benefit which shall be payable. If you are self-employed and therefore do not have any pay slips to use as proof of earnings you will need to provide some other form of documentation, such as a tax return.

TTD cover is only payable to those aged 16 years and over and with the appropriate cover in place.

It is always important to read the terms and conditions of your insurance cover carefully.

What the personal accident policy covers you for:

  • Whilst at work
  • All stable duties – mucking out, grooming, washing off, turning out
  • Clipping
  • Riding – including hacking and jumping
  • Hunting
  • Lunging
  • Breaking in
  • Holding horse for a vet and other procedures
  • Travelling horses both in the UK and abroad
  • Competing in line with your job including: jumping, dressage, eventing
  • Injuries that may happen to you whilst you are teaching - but you must also be grooming as part of your duties and not be a sole instructor

What the personal accident policy doesn’t cover you for:

  • Riding in a race, point to point or team chase
  • Stunt Riding
  • Accidents occurring whilst travelling to and from work
  • Riding and competing your own horse (but you can upgrade when applying for membership to include this)
  • Public Liability – this is a separate insurance policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance
  • Care Custody and Control – this is a separate policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance

If you require additional cover then please contact KBIS directly.