“The bespoke information has been invaluable for my career and employment; I don’t feel alone anymore. I have the peace of mind knowing my income is protected with my BGA insurance.”

Jenny Hooch

BGA Member


FROM ONLY £22.50

Insurance FAQs

Insurance FAQ's  

What does the Personal Accident Insurance cover me for?

The KBIS BGA Personal Accident policy will cover you for all activities as a groom including riding whilst at work and travelling horses both in the UK and abroad. There are limitations to the policy, for example it does not cover you if you are riding in a race and further information about what the policy does and doesn’t cover can be found here  - it is important to read the Terms and Conditions thoroughly.

Does it cover me if I am a freelancer?

Yes, the policy is designed to cover all working grooms, including freelance grooms. As a freelance groom you may want to consider the importance of Temporary Total Disablement (TTD) cover. TTD pays out a weekly benefit, up to the sum insured or 65% of the insured person’s gross weekly wage, whichever is less, should an injury leave you temporarily unable to carry out your normal occupation/business. Particularly important when self employed as you will have no entitlement to statutory sick pay (SSP). TTD cover is available under both the silver and platinum cover options.


I am also an instructor. Will it cover me too?

Yes the policy will cover you when you are teaching. However you must also be a groom in the line of your work. The policy is designed for grooms and not for those that only teach for a living.

I am unsure if I a rider or groom

It is necessary for insurance purposes to confirm your status. Look at this chart to clarify: 


When you are working for other people you do most of the following; muck out, turn out/catch in, tack up, groom horses, exercise Horses (including hacking, jumping and schooling), in the care of your employer/client.




Predominantly ride horses for other people including schooling, exercising and competing.   

 Provide grooming services for someone else either full time or on a freelance basis i.e. an employer or a client.   


Employ staff – have an employers liability policy in your name NO NO YES
Buy and sell horses NO YES YES

I am a student, can I get insurance too?

Yes, the policy provides cover for students whilst they are participating in a college sponsored work placement.
If you are not being paid for the work you carry out and do not receive any other work related pay you should read our guidance on Temporary Total disablement carefully as you may not be able to claim for this benefit.

Do I still need it if I am employed? They have told me I have insurance with the job but I am unsure what it actually is.

Ultimately the decision rest with each member.  Your employer should have Employers Liability cover (unless you work freelance), this will cover you if you are injured but only if the injury occurred because of your employer’s negligence.

Is there an age limit on taking out the insurance?

The minimum age for an insured person is 5 years of age and the maximum age is 75 years of age. Temporary Total Disablement benefits are only available for those 16 years and over, in gainful employment.
If a member is under 18 years of age the policyholder must be an adult i.e. parent, guardian, employer, with the member as the insured person.

Does it matter if I already have a personal accident insurance policy with someone else?

If you already have a Personal Accident policy in place then you should declare this to KBIS, who will then be able to advise whether it will affect the cover you can take out through your BGA membership.

I have a pre-existing medical condition/injury, will I still be insured?

This will be dependent upon a number of factors, such as the type of injury/illness, how long ago it occurred, if the injury/illness is still affecting you and whether you are receiving any ongoing treatment. In order to determine whether any terms will be imposed on your policy you will be required to submit further information about the injury/illness to KBIS’ underwriters for them to review.
If terms are applied to the policy that are unsatisfactory, then you will be able to cancel your policy, without charge, from inceptions within 14 days of the advice being given, i.e. notification as to any limitations to your policy due to a pre-existing injury/illness.

When does the insurance start?

Your insurance cover will start as soon as you have completed the membership sign up and paid for your membership and insurance. You will be have to complete a short proposal form when you join and unless you have a previous injury or illness, for which KBIS require further information, you will not need to do anything further. If KBIS do require any further information then they will contact you directly. 

Why does the monthly payment plan cost a bit more than the annual option?

The monthly instalments are collected on the BGA’s/KBIS’ behalf by a company called Premium Credit. Premium Credit apply an 8% charge to the premium to cover the costs of the agreement, this works out as an Annual Percentage Rate (APR) of 18.5% (for comparison).

You will also need to complete Premium Credit’s ‘credit agreement’ which will be sent to you by email after you have completed the sign up process. The credit agreement can be signed electronically through Premium Credit’s online portal www.mypremiumcredit.com. Please note; if you do not complete the credit agreement within 21 days of the start of your membership you will be charged £10 by Premium Credit. Should you default on a monthly payment then Premium Credit automatically apply a £20 default charge.

Does BGA membership include Public Liability Insurance?

No the membership only includes personal accident insurance. Not all grooms require Public Liability insurance as many will fall under their employers’ combined liability policies.
However, if you do need a policy you can contact KBIS directly on 01635 247474 (option 3) and they will discuss your needs and provide a quotation. Liability Policies operate separately from your membership and can be arranged to start immediately or at a date in the future.  

Does the insurance cover me to ride my own horse?

The personal accident policy only covers you while you are at work and not at other times. This limitation is implemented to keep the cost of insurance low.

When completing your membership application form there is the opportunity to upgrade the policy cover to include accidents which occur while you are riding your own horse(s). This will result in a small additional cost.

Will I be covered whilst I am abroad?

Yes the policy provides you with world-wide cover 24/7. However, the policy does not include cover for repatriation (getting you home after an injury) or medical expenses. Purchase BGA Travel Insurance if you are working abroad, even it it is for a few days.

If I need to claim on the insurance what do I do?

You should contact KBIS as soon as possible to advise them of the incident. You can do this by phone on 01635 247474 (option 3) or email ask@kbis.co.uk. KBIS will then send you a claim form and tell you what you will need to do next, including any further documentation that you may have to submit for your claim.


What if I want to cancel my insurance?

Your insurance policy can be cancelled, provided you haven’t made a claim. If you paid by Credit/Debit card you will receive a pro-rata return of premium.

If you pay by direct debit your payments will be cancelled however the cancellation date of your insurance may pre-date the date you instruct KBIS to cancel your policy due to the membership fee being payable in full. Don’t worry, KBIS will run through this with you, if you choose to cancel.






Your item has been added to the basket

You need to create an account, or login before you can add this item to your basket.