Some functionality of the website is not currently available due to technical difficulties. We're working on fixing the issue.

Working with horses is the same as working in any other industry as far as your employment rights are concerned. If you are employed you are entitled to a range of basic benefits at the minimum.

In the My Job section you can check out a wide range of issues from how much you are paid, to how much holiday you should be getting per year. It is also important that you understand your employment status as this could affect your situation.

There are letter templates for every circumstance that you may encounter and with your BGA membership you also get a free legal help line with Morrish Solicitors LLP.

If you do not find the answer to your question in My Job then please do contact us and as long as you are a member our team will give you practical advice on either email or by phone.


What the personal accident policy covers you for:

  • Whilst at work
  • All stable duties – mucking out, grooming, washing off, turning out
  • Clipping
  • Riding – including hacking and jumping
  • Hunting
  • Lunging
  • Breaking in
  • Holding horse for a vet and other procedures
  • Travelling horses both in the UK and abroad
  • Competing in line with your job including: jumping, dressage, eventing
  • Injuries that may happen to you whilst you are teaching - but you must also be grooming as part of your duties and not be a sole instructor

What the personal accident policy doesn’t cover you for:

  • Riding in a race, point to point or team chase
  • Stunt Riding
  • Accidents occurring whilst travelling to and from work
  • Riding and competing your own horse (but you can upgrade when applying for membership to include this)
  • Public Liability – this is a separate insurance policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance
  • Care Custody and Control – this is a separate policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance

If you require additional cover then please contact KBIS directly.


When you are working for other people you do most of the following; muck out, turn out/catch in, tack up, groom horses, exercise Horses (including hacking, jumping and schooling), in the care of your employer/client.




Predominantly ride horses for other people including schooling, exercising and competing.   

 Provide grooming services for someone else either full time or on a freelance basis i.e. an employer or a client.   


Employ staff – have an employers liability policy in your name NO NO YES
Buy and sell horses NO YES YES