“The bespoke information has been invaluable for my career and employment; I don’t feel alone anymore. I have the peace of mind knowing my income is protected with my BGA insurance.”

Jenny Hooch

BGA Member


FROM ONLY £24.50



Some functionality of the website is not currently available due to technical difficulties. We're working on fixing the issue.

Warming up your horses bit

OK be honest… how many of you warm up your horses' bit in winter before use?

If you have ever had a freezer burn then you will probably be among those who already do warm their bits up, but is it really needed?

Think about having to put, and hold, a freezing cold lump of metal in your mouth without being able to get it out. If you have ever done this then you will know that it actually hurts! So once the temperature drops below freezing you really need to start warming bits before use.

We have come up with some simple ways of warming your horses bit before you put it in their mouth:

  • Put it in a bucket of warm water while you get ready to tack up, although make sure it’s not too hot
  • Hand warmers make excellent bit warmers, particularly the microwavable bean ones. Simply warm, drape over the bit and afterwards you have a hand warmer as well
  • Keeping your tack room heated will help prevent your bits from getting too cold, although it is still worth checking before use
  • The good old fashioned blow and rub. If you have no other means get to work rubbing your bit like you warm up your own hands. The downside of this is that your own hands get cold but it’s better than nothing

Still not convinced?! The next time the temperature drops below 0 degrees put a bit in your mouth and try it for yourself - We guarantee you will be converted!




What the personal accident policy covers you for:

  • Whilst at work
  • All stable duties – mucking out, grooming, washing off, turning out
  • Clipping
  • Riding – including hacking and jumping
  • Hunting
  • Lunging
  • Breaking in
  • Holding horse for a vet and other procedures
  • Travelling horses both in the UK and abroad
  • Competing in line with your job including: jumping, dressage, eventing
  • Injuries that may happen to you whilst you are teaching - but you must also be grooming as part of your duties and not be a sole instructor

What the personal accident policy doesn’t cover you for:

  • Riding in a race, point to point or team chase
  • Stunt Riding
  • Accidents occurring whilst travelling to and from work
  • Riding and competing your own horse (but you can upgrade when applying for membership to include this)
  • Public Liability – this is a separate insurance policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance
  • Care Custody and Control – this is a separate policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance

If you require additional cover then please contact KBIS directly.


When you are working for other people you do most of the following; muck out, turn out/catch in, tack up, groom horses, exercise Horses (including hacking, jumping and schooling), in the care of your employer/client.




Predominantly ride horses for other people including schooling, exercising and competing.   

 Provide grooming services for someone else either full time or on a freelance basis i.e. an employer or a client.   


Employ staff – have an employers liability policy in your name NO NO YES
Buy and sell horses NO YES YES

Your item has been added to the basket

You need to create an account, or login before you can add this item to your basket.