Some functionality of the website is not currently available due to technical difficulties. We're working on fixing the issue.
Racing grooms insurance

Racing grooms

Platinum Membership

This membership includes KBIS personal accident insurance with Temporary Total Disablement (TTD) and covers the majority of tasks of a racing or thoroughbred stud groom, including riding on the gallops. 

Platinum Membership is for those earning £386 per week or more, and will cover 65% of your gross weekly earnings, up to a maximum of £350. Suitable for all grooms aged from 16 - 75 years old. 

If you are looking for lower benefits and/or earn less weekly then our Silver Membership might be more suitable.


Insurance details

    Includes Temporary Total Disablement. Tell me more about this benefit.
    Covers for the majority of tasks a groom performs including riding and clipping (check the Terms and Conditions).
    It is important you can prove your earnings in the case of a claim.
    Option to upgrade your personal accident cover for riding & handling your own horse, at an additional cost (£9.78 per month/£108.69 per year).
    Insurance needs to be in parents or guardians name if 16 or 17  years old. Cover applicable for grooms up to 75 years old.
    Available for any grooms living and working in the UK and Northern Ireland.
    Platinum Membership does not include KBIS Freelance Groom Liability insurance, you can purchase this once you are a BGA member if required.
    Frequently asked insurance questions
Details Cover
Accidental Death £20,000
Permanent Total Loss of Sight of One or Both Eyes (due to accident) £20,000
Loss of One or More Limbs (due to accident) £20,000
Permanent Total Loss of Speech (due to accident) £20,000
Permanent Total Loss of Hearing in One of Both Ears (due to accident) £20,000 (limited to £6,000 for one ear)
Permanent Total Disablement (other than loss of Sight, Speech or Hearing)
(due to accident)
Temporary Total Disablement (Payable 104 Weeks. Excess period 21 Days)
(due to accident)
Up to £350 per week
Emergency Dental Expenses (Excess £50) (due to accident) Up to £1,000
Hospital Benefit (Maximum benefit 30 days) (due to accident) £50.00 each completed 24 hours

Join us today

Please select your preferred payment option and become a member:


£192.73 per year

Select this option


£17.38 per month

Select this option

Temporary Total Disablement

What is Temporary Total Disablement?

Temporary Total Disablement (TTD), available under both the Silver and Platinum insure membership options, pays a weekly benefit should you sustain an injury at work and that injury temporarily prevents you from working.

TTD is the most claimed benefit on a personal accident policy and is important cover to consider, especially if you do not receive any statutory sick pay.

The Key Features of TTD

The maximum weekly benefit paid under TTD depends on the level of cover you have chosen to take out and your gross weekly wage.

Under our Silver insure membership the maximum weekly benefit paid is £250, whilst under our Platinum insure membership, the maximum weekly benefit paid is £350.  Following a successful claim you will receive this weekly benefit amount or 65% of your gross weekly wage, whichever is the lower figure/amount.

When choosing the level of TTD it is important to select the one which is the most comparable to your current earnings, as a higher limit does not guarantee a greater pay-out. In order to receive TTD you must be receiving an income as oppose to benefits etc.

The Key Limitations/Exclusions of TTD

A claim will only be successful if your injury entirely prevents you from attending your normal duties at work. You will need to be signed off by a doctor and the injury must prevent you from working for more than 21 days.

Once your claim is agreed by underwriters you will start to receive a weekly benefit after the first 21 days immediately following the injury or illness. The weekly benefit is payable for a maximum of 104 weeks.
If order for a  to claim to be successful you will need to prove your gross weekly earnings and the insurer will determine from this, and the level of cover you have taken out, the weekly benefit which shall be payable. If you are self-employed and therefore do not have any pay slips to use as proof of earnings you will need to provide some other form of documentation, such as a tax return.

TTD cover is only payable to those aged 16 years and over and with the appropriate cover in place.

It is always important to read the terms and conditions of your insurance cover carefully.

What the personal accident policy covers you for:

  • Whilst at work
  • All stable duties – mucking out, grooming, washing off, turning out
  • Clipping
  • Riding – including hacking and jumping
  • Hunting
  • Lunging
  • Breaking in
  • Holding horse for a vet and other procedures
  • Travelling horses both in the UK and abroad
  • Competing in line with your job including: jumping, dressage, eventing
  • Injuries that may happen to you whilst you are teaching - but you must also be grooming as part of your duties and not be a sole instructor

What the personal accident policy doesn’t cover you for:

  • Riding in a race, point to point or team chase
  • Stunt Riding
  • Accidents occurring whilst travelling to and from work
  • Riding and competing your own horse (but you can upgrade when applying for membership to include this)
  • Public Liability – this is a separate insurance policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance
  • Care Custody and Control – this is a separate policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance

If you require additional cover then please contact KBIS directly.