Some functionality of the website is not currently available due to technical difficulties. We're working on fixing the issue.

Minimum Wage Increase

The age from which workers become eligible for the national living wage will reduce to 23, the government has confirmed as it announced April 2021 increases to statutory minimum wage rates.
The Chancellor has said today (25/11/20) in Winter Review that the government will accept a recommendation from the Low Pay Commission to increase the National Living Wage next year by 2.2%, to £8.91 an hour - extended to those aged 23 and over.

Workers aged 23-24 years old will receive a substantial pay rise of almost 9%. 

Accepting “in full” the Low Pay Commission’s recommendations, the chancellor also announced that that the full national minimum wage rate, which from April 2021 only apply for those aged 21-22, will also increase. It will rise by 2.0% to £8.36.
 If you are unsure if you are currently being paid the National Minimum Wage then use our BGA Wage Checker


Back to news home


What the personal accident policy covers you for:

  • Whilst at work
  • All stable duties – mucking out, grooming, washing off, turning out
  • Clipping
  • Riding – including hacking and jumping
  • Hunting
  • Lunging
  • Breaking in
  • Holding horse for a vet and other procedures
  • Travelling horses both in the UK and abroad
  • Competing in line with your job including: jumping, dressage, eventing
  • Injuries that may happen to you whilst you are teaching - but you must also be grooming as part of your duties and not be a sole instructor

What the personal accident policy doesn’t cover you for:

  • Riding in a race, point to point or team chase
  • Stunt Riding
  • Accidents occurring whilst travelling to and from work
  • Riding and competing your own horse (but you can upgrade when applying for membership to include this)
  • Public Liability – this is a separate insurance policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance
  • Care Custody and Control – this is a separate policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance

If you require additional cover then please contact KBIS directly.


When you are working for other people you do most of the following; muck out, turn out/catch in, tack up, groom horses, exercise Horses (including hacking, jumping and schooling), in the care of your employer/client.




Predominantly ride horses for other people including schooling, exercising and competing.   

 Provide grooming services for someone else either full time or on a freelance basis i.e. an employer or a client.   


Employ staff – have an employers liability policy in your name NO NO YES
Buy and sell horses NO YES YES

Your item has been added to the basket

You need to create an account, or login before you can add this item to your basket.