Some functionality of the website is not currently available due to technical difficulties. We're working on fixing the issue.

Travelling into Europe - new qualification required

BGA Members get discounted rate on required welfare qualifications for travelling into the EU. 

As a result of Brexit, t
he British Type Two Transport Authorisation is recognised in the United Kingdom but NOT recognised in Europe.

As of 1st January 2021 the Certificate of Competence in the Welfare of Transporting Horses, (Level 3 Award for Long Journeys), is no longer valid for journeys to Europe.

What must I have?

UK Citizens who travel to Ireland or Europe have to now sit The European Communities (Animal Transport and Control Post) Regulations (SI675 of 2006).

The Council Regulations is aimed at improving the welfare of animals, including horses during transport throughout the European Union. It is important to note the rules apply to the transport of animals undertaken in connection with an economic activity.

It is the Type 2 Authorisation that will be required for any groom/driver who travels to the EU: 

Type 2: Authorisation covers journeys over 8 hours (long journeys – transporting from the United Kingdom) 


This course is normally done in in person in a room, practical based course and assessment, but because of the Covid-19 pandemic Gills Driving School, based in Ireland, are facilitating people from the United Kingdom to get their European Certification by Zoom.

BGA Members can access this course at a discounted price of 235 euros. (normally 250 euros) - to access this offer please contact us to book on the next session which is on Friday 23rd April (6pm). 

The qualification is a life time one, ie it does not need to be taken again. 

Only one person in the vehicle needs the certifcate, but this person has to take complete responsibility for the journey in that vehicle - as in journey logs, passports, and all documents required for each journey which is undertaken during that trip. Tiernan Gill, Gills Transport

**It is important to note that this qualification will NOT be accepted for driving horses in the UK - so yes, you will need to have both. 

Anyone transporting (whether driving or handling) horses in the UK will still need to hold a Certificate of Competence. You can discover more with our partners Haddon Training.


Back to news home


What the personal accident policy covers you for:

  • Whilst at work
  • All stable duties – mucking out, grooming, washing off, turning out
  • Clipping
  • Riding – including hacking and jumping
  • Hunting
  • Lunging
  • Breaking in
  • Holding horse for a vet and other procedures
  • Travelling horses both in the UK and abroad
  • Competing in line with your job including: jumping, dressage, eventing
  • Injuries that may happen to you whilst you are teaching - but you must also be grooming as part of your duties and not be a sole instructor

What the personal accident policy doesn’t cover you for:

  • Riding in a race, point to point or team chase
  • Stunt Riding
  • Accidents occurring whilst travelling to and from work
  • Riding and competing your own horse (but you can upgrade when applying for membership to include this)
  • Public Liability – this is a separate insurance policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance
  • Care Custody and Control – this is a separate policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance

If you require additional cover then please contact KBIS directly.


When you are working for other people you do most of the following; muck out, turn out/catch in, tack up, groom horses, exercise Horses (including hacking, jumping and schooling), in the care of your employer/client.




Predominantly ride horses for other people including schooling, exercising and competing.   

 Provide grooming services for someone else either full time or on a freelance basis i.e. an employer or a client.   


Employ staff – have an employers liability policy in your name NO NO YES
Buy and sell horses NO YES YES

Your item has been added to the basket

You need to create an account, or login before you can add this item to your basket.