Some functionality of the website is not currently available due to technical difficulties. We're working on fixing the issue.

racing grooms Insurance 

If you work in a horse racing yard or a thoroughbred stud our grooms' insurance memberships can provide you with the appropriate KBIS personal accident cover should you sustain an injury whilst at work.

Suitable for all grooms from 16 to 75 years old. 

Membership does not include Public Liability Insurance. Freelancers will be offered the option to purchase the bespoke Freelance Groom Liability Insurance supplied by KBIS at the end of their joining journey.

Scroll down to watch the video about your insurance options.

The membership solution for racing grooms

If you don't qualify for RIABS because you are over 65, not registered stable staff or freelance. 

    Covers all tasks of a groom - including gallops exercise
    Access to the discounted Freelance Groom Liability Insurance
    Career advice and support - we understand your job
    Perfect if you do not qualify for RIABS
Freelance racing groom, thoroughbred stud groom, yard man groom  - it makes no difference what you do.


£63.58/year or

Membership includes KBIS personal accident cover for grooms and students who do not require a loss of earnings benefit.

    All the benefits of Standard Membership
    Cover for the majority of grooms' tasks and riding
    Does not include Temporary Total Disablement and so not suitable for anyone who relies on income
    Hospital benefit
    Emergency dental expenses


£134.03/year or

Our most popular choice for freelance and employed grooms. This level of KBIS personal accident insurance includes a weekly income should you be unable to work.

    All the benefits of Standard Membership
    Cover for the majority of grooms' tasks and riding
    Total Temporary Disablement up to £250 per week if you are unable to work due to an accident at work. 
    Hospital benefit
    Emergency dental expenses


£192.73/year or

This membership offers the highest level of KBIS personal accident cover. Suitable for higher earning employed or freelance grooms. 

    All the benefits of Standard Membership
    Cover for the majority of grooms' tasks and riding
    Total Temporary Disablement up to £350 per week if you are unable to work due to an accident at work.
    Hospital benefit
    Emergency dental expenses

Insurance options

Watch this short video to discover which insurance protection you should consider:

What is RIABS?
Racing Industry Accident Benefit Scheme (RIABS).

Who is eligible for RIABS?
To be eligible to claim RIABS, you must be employed by a licensed trainer (either full or part time) and be on the stable register with the BHA.
If you are self-employed, you are not eligible. You must also be aged between 16 and 65.

Does RIABS cover everything?
No, the scheme does not cover race riding accidents or accidents either on a racecourse or whilst travelling to or from a racecourse if the eligible person was engaged to ride in a race.

I am over 65, can the BGA help me?
Yes, we are able to insure you even if you are over 65. Get in touch today to find out more.

I am a freelance racing groom and can’t get insurance through RIABS – what should I do?
Get in touch with the BGA today. Our grooms insurance covers all types of groom, freelance racing groom, stud groom, yard man groom – it makes no difference.

Do I need RIABS and BGA Membership?
If you do any freelance grooming outside of your employed work, RIABS won’t cover you for this.  Our BGA personal accident insurance can cover you for this to protect your income. You may also wish to consider Freelance Groom Liability Insurance which you can purchase if you are a BGA member.

Temporary Total Disablement

What is Temporary Total Disablement?

Temporary Total Disablement (TTD), available under both the Silver and Platinum insure membership options, pays a weekly benefit should you sustain an injury at work and that injury temporarily prevents you from working.

TTD is the most claimed benefit on a personal accident policy and is important cover to consider, especially if you do not receive any statutory sick pay.

The Key Features of TTD

The maximum weekly benefit paid under TTD depends on the level of cover you have chosen to take out and your gross weekly wage.

Under our Silver insure membership the maximum weekly benefit paid is £250, whilst under our Platinum insure membership, the maximum weekly benefit paid is £350.  Following a successful claim you will receive this weekly benefit amount or 65% of your gross weekly wage, whichever is the lower figure/amount.

When choosing the level of TTD it is important to select the one which is the most comparable to your current earnings, as a higher limit does not guarantee a greater pay-out. In order to receive TTD you must be receiving an income as oppose to benefits etc.

The Key Limitations/Exclusions of TTD

A claim will only be successful if your injury entirely prevents you from attending your normal duties at work. You will need to be signed off by a doctor and the injury must prevent you from working for more than 21 days.

Once your claim is agreed by underwriters you will start to receive a weekly benefit after the first 21 days immediately following the injury or illness. The weekly benefit is payable for a maximum of 104 weeks.
If order for a  to claim to be successful you will need to prove your gross weekly earnings and the insurer will determine from this, and the level of cover you have taken out, the weekly benefit which shall be payable. If you are self-employed and therefore do not have any pay slips to use as proof of earnings you will need to provide some other form of documentation, such as a tax return.

TTD cover is only payable to those aged 16 years and over and with the appropriate cover in place.

It is always important to read the terms and conditions of your insurance cover carefully.

What the personal accident policy covers you for:

  • Whilst at work
  • All stable duties – mucking out, grooming, washing off, turning out
  • Clipping
  • Riding – including hacking and jumping
  • Hunting
  • Lunging
  • Breaking in
  • Holding horse for a vet and other procedures
  • Travelling horses both in the UK and abroad
  • Competing in line with your job including: jumping, dressage, eventing
  • Injuries that may happen to you whilst you are teaching - but you must also be grooming as part of your duties and not be a sole instructor

What the personal accident policy doesn’t cover you for:

  • Riding in a race, point to point or team chase
  • Stunt Riding
  • Accidents occurring whilst travelling to and from work
  • Riding and competing your own horse (but you can upgrade when applying for membership to include this)
  • Public Liability – this is a separate insurance policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance
  • Care Custody and Control – this is a separate policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance

If you require additional cover then please contact KBIS directly.