Some functionality of the website is not currently available due to technical difficulties. We're working on fixing the issue.

Guide to transporting horses launched

The British Grooms Association (BGA) has developed a comprehensive guide to ‘Transporting Horses’ based on an initial idea from international travelling groom, Alan Davies.

Alan approached the BGA after recognising there was no one stop resource for grooms and riders to get the information they needed on travelling horses in the UK and abroad.

Travelling horses is getting more complex as there is so much to think about with so many rules and regulations. I often get asked a lot of questions about transporting, particularly abroad, from less experienced grooms, which is where the idea of creating one informative platform came from.

The new ‘Transporting Horses’ is a brilliant go-to resource to get all the answers. It covers every aspect, it looks fabulous, is easy to use and I’m so excited to see it launch as it as will make people’s lives a lot easier.

It is fantastic the BGA have done this to help us travelling grooms get to where we need to be. Alan Davies, groom to Charlotte Dujardin and Carl Hester

The new platform offers a wide variety of information from licenses to qualifications and importing/exporting, and includes lots of practical hints from experienced travelling grooms.

This amazing resource is proudly sponsored by Haddon Training; a leading provider of the Defra and APHA approved qualifications in transporting horses. 

With more than twenty years’ experience as an equestrian training provider they know how to provide exceptional service and exceed your expectations.

Transporting horses has been developed alongside Horsebox Driver Training and Consultants, who now offer BGA members a 10% discount on CPC, Tachograph and other professional driving courses.

Discover Transporting Horses here >>







Back to news home


What the personal accident policy covers you for:

  • Whilst at work
  • All stable duties – mucking out, grooming, washing off, turning out
  • Clipping
  • Riding – including hacking and jumping
  • Hunting
  • Lunging
  • Breaking in
  • Holding horse for a vet and other procedures
  • Travelling horses both in the UK and abroad
  • Competing in line with your job including: jumping, dressage, eventing
  • Injuries that may happen to you whilst you are teaching - but you must also be grooming as part of your duties and not be a sole instructor

What the personal accident policy doesn’t cover you for:

  • Riding in a race, point to point or team chase
  • Stunt Riding
  • Accidents occurring whilst travelling to and from work
  • Riding and competing your own horse (but you can upgrade when applying for membership to include this)
  • Public Liability – this is a separate insurance policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance
  • Care Custody and Control – this is a separate policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance

If you require additional cover then please contact KBIS directly.


When you are working for other people you do most of the following; muck out, turn out/catch in, tack up, groom horses, exercise Horses (including hacking, jumping and schooling), in the care of your employer/client.




Predominantly ride horses for other people including schooling, exercising and competing.   

 Provide grooming services for someone else either full time or on a freelance basis i.e. an employer or a client.   


Employ staff – have an employers liability policy in your name NO NO YES
Buy and sell horses NO YES YES

Your item has been added to the basket

You need to create an account, or login before you can add this item to your basket.