Some functionality of the website is not currently available due to technical difficulties. We're working on fixing the issue.
CPD training for horse grooms with British Grooms Association


WHAT IS CPD?British Grooms Association member with horse

CPD stands for continuing professional development.

In simple terms this means continuing your education to build and develop  your skills. This can be done in our outside of work. 

CPD may be a one off learning course, or a series of studies leading to a qualification.

Although it is good practice for employers to encourage self development through CPD, it can also be led by you.

An example of undergoing CPD would be completing the BGA e-learning modules, physically attending a course or seeking extra training through an online provider such as The Open College of Equine Studies.

Who benefits from CPD?


As a groom you never stop learning and there are always ways to develop your skills and learn new things.

As well as you benefiting from your new skills, your employ will also benefit your employer, and ultimately the horses in your care.

Depending on the role you are in, or looking to be in, you might look at other areas to develop your skills, such as IT, customer service, equine biomechanics or nutrition.  

Finding something you are interested in is the key to enjoying your learning. 

It is best practice to keep a written record of the courses you have undertaken so that you can add them to your CV where applicable.


There are lots of free CPD available. An example of this would be the BGA e-learning modules.

Other CPD, especially if you are working towards a qualification, will usually be charged for, although doesn’t tend to be expensive.

The Open College of Equine Studies have lots of CPD options. The British Horse Society also runs CPD days. 

Top Tip: Look out for relevant events in your area. For example your local equine veterinary practice may hold client evenings which are usually free, but a great way of learning. 


There is CPD to suit everyone. Although some courses you will need to attend there are lots of courses are now done online. 


If you are doing employer led CPD then this is usually done inside work hours (and paid for by your employer).

CPD that you arrange for your own benefit is usually done outside of work hours and at your own cost.




What the personal accident policy covers you for:

  • Whilst at work
  • All stable duties – mucking out, grooming, washing off, turning out
  • Clipping
  • Riding – including hacking and jumping
  • Hunting
  • Lunging
  • Breaking in
  • Holding horse for a vet and other procedures
  • Travelling horses both in the UK and abroad
  • Competing in line with your job including: jumping, dressage, eventing
  • Injuries that may happen to you whilst you are teaching - but you must also be grooming as part of your duties and not be a sole instructor

What the personal accident policy doesn’t cover you for:

  • Riding in a race, point to point or team chase
  • Stunt Riding
  • Accidents occurring whilst travelling to and from work
  • Riding and competing your own horse (but you can upgrade when applying for membership to include this)
  • Public Liability – this is a separate insurance policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance
  • Care Custody and Control – this is a separate policy - the Freelance Groom Liability Insurance

If you require additional cover then please contact KBIS directly.


When you are working for other people you do most of the following; muck out, turn out/catch in, tack up, groom horses, exercise Horses (including hacking, jumping and schooling), in the care of your employer/client.




Predominantly ride horses for other people including schooling, exercising and competing.   

 Provide grooming services for someone else either full time or on a freelance basis i.e. an employer or a client.   


Employ staff – have an employers liability policy in your name NO NO YES
Buy and sell horses NO YES YES